Monday, January 30, 2012

How can I ensure that I get an American accent during my year exchange?

I'm a New Zealander and after years of watching American movies I have fallen in love with half the accents. I'm going to be in the US for one year, so is there anyway I can pick up the accent in that time?



Oh I realise you guys pronouce NZ "New Zeeland" lol. Thats so cute!How can I ensure that I get an American accent during my year exchange?You're travelling somewhere just to get an accent?



You could try hanging out with lots of local people over there, or pick one person you particularly like the accent of, and follow he/she and learn to say words the same as them.



EDIT: I remember reading somewhere that accents are permanent. That's a myth. You have an accent because that's the way you're use to talking. If you continually practice another accent, you'll get use to talking that way and it will feel more natural. A lot of actors switch their accents around at will (you don't think a British movie made in Hollywood would actually hire an all British team?).How can I ensure that I get an American accent during my year exchange?
I think like anything in life- put your mind to it, listen and learn.

There are many different kinds of accents, so like someone here said- pick the person you like and pay attention. If you do make a "mistake" speaking in your New Zealand accent, correct yourself immediately so your ears get used to the sound. Don't be afraid to speak!How can I ensure that I get an American accent during my year exchange?funny we think we have no accent. ok maybe in massachusets or the south! they do offer elocution classes to get rid of foreign accents. no joke.



we pronounce the letter Z as zee not zed as you do. i lived in canada for a while. we say expire not expiry



go to this site if you can get it there. i could not always get us links even in canada. it is the merriamb webster dictionary. they pronounce the words on the site.



http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/new%20zeal鈥?/a>

have fun!

we spell words diffrently too.

ex color not colour

center not centre

neighborhood not neighbourhoodHow can I ensure that I get an American accent during my year exchange?
What is an American accent. It will depend where you are in America. People from New York have a different accent from people in Georgia. Californians sound different from people in Louisiana. And in Louisiana, people from New Orleans, North Louisiana, and South Louisiana Cajuns all have different accents.



Also, out of all the groups I just mentioned....all of their accents are unique. And these were just a small example.How can I ensure that I get an American accent during my year exchange?I was able to imitate British accents just by watching movies, so I'd imagine that you could learn a lot in a year - make friends with someone who isn't irritated by your constant efforts, though :)How can I ensure that I get an American accent during my year exchange?
Well, how do you pronounce it?
  • pocket bikes
  • florida drivers license
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment